Landscape and climate effect on winter mortality of honeybee colonies
PhD student: Giulia Mainardi
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Ingolf Steffan-Dewenter
Lab: University of Würzbur
The objectives of this PhD project are:
- a better understanding of the effect of flower resources in three different landscapes: urban, agricultural, and semi-natural. How?
- Collection of pollen during the entire foraging season
- Analysis of the diversity (DNA metabarcoding) and quantity of pollen collected
- Gene expression of the protein Vitellogenin and analysis for a possible correlation with pollen diversity.
- monitoring the response of honeybee colonies in different winter climate scenarios. How?
- Climate chamber experiment
- Use of in-hive humidity and temperature sensors.